So, I am sure you are asking what in the world is a muffuletta?
Tina Howell for NewsBreak – A muffuletta is sandwich that is made on a round, Sicilian sesame bread that originated among immigrants in New Orleans. It is stuffed with ham, salami, mortadella, Swiss, provolone cheese and olive salad.
- 1 9″ round muffuletta sesame seed loaf
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup of olive salad (NOTE: I like a lot on my sandwich)
- 1/4 pound of deli ham, sliced thin
- 1/4 pound of salami, sliced thin
- 1/4 pound of mortadella, sliced thin
- 1/4 pound of Swiss cheese, sliced thin
- 1/4 pound of provolone cheese, sliced thin
- Slice the bread in half and opening both sides on a flat surface.
- Brush the inner sides of the bread with the oil from the olive salad and let it soak into the bread.
- Layer the meats (ham, salami and mortadella) on the bottom half of the bread. Top the meats with the cheeses (Swiss and provolone) then top the cheeses with a layer of the meats again.
- Then add the layer of olive salad. (NOTE: This layer should be thick, but you can add less, if desired) Place the top half of the bread over the olive salad and press down.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Place the sandwich on baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 5 or 10 minutes, till warmed
This sandwich is big enough to share with family or friends. Slice into 4 wedges, serve and enjoy!